1.21.2009

tv saved my life once

I'm an obsessive person. Duh, right? This is not a new flaw thing.
I sometimes become obsessed with new things (or moreso with old things) when I'm in a funk. Some might think it's unhealthy (it can be at times), but I really don't care. Okay, maybe I do a little, I am dedicating a blog post to it.
The thing is when I get obsessed with something it makes me happy. The other things in my life seem brighter. I seem to enjoy everything else more. People don't pick up on that. They just see the obsession. And that you're a dork/geek/loser (because they don't get it). And maybe you don't see what you do as an obsession, it's just something you really really like to do or just like a lot (for this post, that's my def of obsessed).
Some friends who don't ride bikes think I'm weird because I'm so into it. Some people who don't enjoy the same tv shows I do think I'm insane because I'm really into it (okay, really really into it). Everyone has their thing. If you take a step back and look at your thing- you're probably weird too. Who the fuck cares!?
My dad used to be critical of the money I spent on bikes and parts. Hmmm, how much were those golf clubs dad? Didn't you just get a new set last year? He says "that's true, very true, you're right."
John plays video games with a mini keyboard attached to his controller while wearing a headset and having a laptop open while chatting and IM'ing other gamers (PRO-gamers). Multi-tasking at its finest. I don't wanna do that, but I get it. It makes me smile.
We all have our things. Just because it's not your thing doesn't make someone a loser. And if you're gonna imply that I am, don't be ignorant about it, get your facts straight.

ETA that I'm really not bitter and this makes me laugh:












*.gif stolen from lj

9 comments:

Coffee King (CK) said...

I'm 100% with you here. To hell with the Haters (overstated for dramatic affect). It's a typical human condition to really be into something, and that something can change over time. The few people I know that don't have something they enjoy being obsessed about typically seem to be unhappy people. Of course, obsessions are best when healthy for yourself and the important others, hopefully the ones that get you being obsessed.

Unknown said...

I can get unhealthy at moments (and I'm sane enough to know this). But it doesn't last long. Couple days at most. It's kind of the peak (usually when new). Then it goes down to a normal obsession for me. But I see other people do this, so while maybe unhealthy, I don't consider it abnormal.

Tom K said...

you're not a loser, you're a geek. duh...

this comes from somebody who doesn't know how many bikes are in his house right now and knows that another is on the way. so not sure if that helps much.

Anonymous said...

I just took a step back and looked at my "thing"......WHOA!!!


Bill

Mountaingoat said...

You guys are weird. I don't obsess over anything.

Mountaingoat said...

Really, I don't.

Mountaingoat said...

I'm serious, there's not a thing.

Dano said...

I think we are related somehow.
:-)

claire said...

The double-edged sword! I figure the ability to *really* focus has gotten me, well, where I am (for good or bad). Sometimes I wish I could switch between tasks more easily, care less about the book I am reading, or maybe just remember to get up and pee when I've been analyzing data for 10 hours straight. But then I'd miss out on some of my life's finer pleasures. Nothing is better than the *flow* you experience with total focus. It's something I love about biking, and the good kind of work. I figure that bit more Harry Potter than is strictly advisable is an OK price to pay.