9.07.2010

The long *ss weekend

Heading out Friday night I thought for sure the mesa would be wet. I half-heartedly headed out on the paved path. When I came up to the steel bridge I noticed how dry the singletrack was. It meant one thing, the mesa is dry. I'll admit to being very surprised at how great conditions were. Not one wet spot. Perfect actually.
On my way back home from my ride my phone rang. It was Ben Popper. He and a few others wanted to give the mesa a shot Saturday morning if I was up for being a tour guide.
HELL YES.
When I got home I called my mom up right away and asked if she wouldn't mind watching the girls. Being the good sport she is, she agreed.
Mike, Ben, Brandon, Dave, Al, Paolo, John and I headed out around 8am. It's been a long time since I've been chilled on a bike ride. Once we got into the woods, it ended up being perfect. Well until Dave had a chainring mishap on the first hill... John ended up towing him back to our house and gave him th3ocon's bike.
It was a good ride. I don't think I've ever ridden Sublime that fast the second time around. I'm sure John's challenge had a bit to do with it...
Sunday we headed up to the Klugs. John and Kevin headed out to the Kettles while Holly and I gossiped while hiking and hanging out with the girls. When John and Kevin came back, Holly and I headed out to Emma. We rode Emma and the connector. It was my first time on Emma since they re-did the trails, I approve big time. I think it may actually be one of my favorite sections. However I think the connector on the way out from Emma still rates pretty darn high. Another good ride. When we were done it was brats and frog hunting.
Monday I headed out to Palos to participate in the women's only Half Acre ride. There were about 14 of us, I think. We ended up in groups. It turned out to be another great day on the bike. Fabulous weather, good company, fun trails, we saw a dude endo spectacularly on dynamite road and then a dude puking on three ravines. Nice.
My weekend ended with a beautiful breeze coming through the doors while I sat on the couch drinking a beer watching Phineas and Ferb. Awesome.
This coming weekend has a lot to live up to. It's at a disadvantage already seeing as it'll be a day short. I am however looking forward to seeing some WORS peeps. Last time was Eau Claire, I think.

0 comments: